MORE ABOUT BRUE

Information for this page has been drawn from barvasandbrue.co.uk and we encourage you to review their website.

Our Gallery

Brue Attractions

A Brief History

1827

Brue is established as a village, seperate from Barvas, established pre-1800

1883

The Napier Commission’s surveys of conditions finds Brue crofter’s nearing starvation.  Potatoes were in such a decrepit state they were not lifted

1912

3rd of February – brother and sister Norman (8) and Margaret (16) MacLeod of Brue drown as they tried to cross a frozen Loch Mòr Bharabhas

1914

11 men from Brue are killed in WWI, either during the war itself or in the Iolaire Disaster

1923

Four emigrate on the Metagama. John Macdonald, 2 Brue; William Matheson, 4 Brue; Norman Finlayson, 11 Brue; and Neil Paterson, 20 Brue

1938

The first radios are brought to Brue

1946

The Brue village road is tarmaced. Previously it had been maintained by the local road squad using clay from the quarry

1951

Mains electricity installed in Brue

1955

Mains water is installed in Brue

1958

The first telephone installed in Brue – probably for shop businesses at No 20 and 24 Brue

1966

First televisions in Brue

1968

Scandal hits Brue when the village is stunned by the murder of Miss Mary McKenzie 

1990

Sewerage scheme for Brue – contractor Uist Builders